We hope you are doing well and enjoying some of the glorious weather we’ve had lately. We know how a little sunshine can go a long way!
The dark, cold and dreary days of winter are behind us. A new season is unfolding. Homework, holidays, carpools, and even some of our jobs are going on hiatus. The frantic and frenetic mode that we experience during the year is slowing down to make way for lazy mornings and relaxing evenings.
The transition isn’t that simple. Lots of shopping for those of us with teens going to camp. Reshuffling of carpools. Kids slamming doors all hours of the day, dripping ices across floors and dragging dripping towels through house. Some of us crave order and routine especially when we are not feeling our best. Some of us feel safer in the peace and quiet of our homes and don’t do well sitting outside with neighbors, in the heat and with all that noisy conversations.
So here are some pointers to help you enjoy your summer to the fullest, whether you’re a summer fan, or whether you prefer cozy winters.
1. Drink! The hot and humid weather can really dehydrate us. When we aren’t properly hydrated, we can feel sluggish, tired, agitated. Six cups of water a day MINIMUM!
2. It’s too hot to cook, the kids are too busy running outdoors to stop and eat. Summer time we often slack off with meals, serving easy simple kiddie stuff. Please take extra measures to ensure you’re eating properly, balanced meals help keep us balanced.
3. Take advantage of the incredible bountiful summer fruits that are in season. Peaches, berries, melons are all packed full of nutrients, antioxidants and the healthy sort of sugar that gives us the right sort of energy. Smoothies are a great option- its healthy sweet and filling!
4. Put on those sneakers and MOVE! No more excuses that the weather is keeping you indoors. Book a walking partner to motivate you to feel committed and walk for 45 minutes. Mornings, evenings, whatever your schedule allows. Get that heart rate up and the endorphins flowing!
5. Take up swimming. Lakewood is chock full of pools where ladies are welcome to swim for just a few dollars a day. Water is calming and healing, the sun exposure gives us precious vitamin D that can boost our moods.
6. Not feeling up to planning and arranging a family vacation? It could be that this year it would be a bit too much for you. Please don’t feel guilty if you don’t have the head or strength to plan a long distance trip. Our area is full of parks and possibilities where you can create wonderful memories without needing to pack up a U-Haul! Pencil in one day a week where you take the kids out for a picnic or a barbeque. You’ll be creating fun memories regardless of the zip code! Here is a link of local parks: www.lakewoodnj.gov/parks_details.php
Summer is a time to get in touch with your inner child. Biking, swimming, a picnic. Even going down to our beautiful lake, sitting on a bench and just stopping to BREATHE.
There is so much that we have access to that is free and fun! It’s easy to stay indoors, convincing ourselves we need to clean, cook, bathe the baby. All true! But healthy happy mommies make for healthy happy children. Take an hour a day to practice some self-care!
Embrace the season and all it offers!
Wishing you a serene and happy summer!